Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 11: Den Haag

Thursday, July 21 2011

After a simple breakfast of toast and cheese, Desiree dropped us off in downtown Den Haag.  We did some shopping (there’s apparently a dinnerware line called Blond Amersterdam that is totally cute….however, I don’t see Adam wanting to register for such  super-girly dinnerware.  Kat bought an egg stand….too cute!) , checked out the local book market (only on Thursdays), and visited the Maurithaus, where we saw Verneer’s famous painting The Girl with a Pearl Earring.  This was definitely the highlight of Den Haag for me.  

We also bought our Museum Pass here; the museum pass is good for one year and gives you access to all the major museums in the Netherlands, including the Anne Frank house, the Rijksmuseum, and the Van Gogh Museum.  I might talk Adam into spending part of our honeymoon next June in Holland, so I can use my Museum Pass again J

Desiree picked us up at our designated pick-up spot (on the steps across from the flags….can’t miss it!).

She was so great to drive us around; we did not have to take the bus or tram once.  I was brave and decided to play piano for her, which actually wasn’t too bad.  My self-esteem is mostly still intact.  She wanted to read through a duet together….so I obliged.  My sight-reading is awful!  We made it through part of Schubert’s Fantasie in F Minor before I threw in the towel.  I love hearing how excited she gets about music.  She’s 80-something and still takes piano lessons at the conservatory!  You have to admire that about her.  She’s very passionate about music.  So much so, that I feel a little ashamed about not knowing more repertoire.  For our entire stay with her, she had music going.  She’s a big fan of Brahms and Schubert.  I’ve since decided to learn some of the Schubert duets; if we ever meet again, I’ll be ready J
 She prepared a delicious (and vegetarian, of course) dinner for us.  Those were probably the tastiest stuffed bell peppers (which she calls paprika) I have ever had.  After dinner, we caught part of the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice.  No offense to Kiera Knightly, but this is undoubtedly the best version for people who adore the book.  Yes, it’s long, and Mrs. Bennet and the younger sisters will just about drive you nuts, but it’s true to the book.  And it has Colin Firth J

No comments:

Post a Comment